Select to view content in your preferred language

Increase size of polygon circles

01-28-2011 04:57 AM
DeannaMetts
Deactivated User
I have a polygon feature class with thousands of circles.  Most of them are the correct diameter, but some are not.  I need to increase the size of all of them to have a 15' radius. 

What is the easiest way to do this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
1  selecting/query the ones that are the correct size and export to a new shapefile
2  switch the selection determine the centroid of those that have too small radii, make them their own shapefile
3  buffer the points in step 2 to the correct size
4  merge the results of 1 and 3 together
0 Kudos
DeannaMetts
Deactivated User
Thanks, but how do I determine the centroid?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
add two Double fields to the table with appropriate precision and scale and check out the topic on field calculations
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//005s00000025000000.htm
once the centroid X and Y are determined add the table in as an event layer using the X and Y fields...there are alternates that require different extensions or license levels, also check the various script sites for tools to convert poly* features to their centroid representations
0 Kudos
DeannaMetts
Deactivated User
Thanks for the suggestions.  It was no trouble to get the centroids and then use the buffer wizard to create the correct size circle polygons.  The problem I am having now is that the buffer polys do not have the attributes I need to keep from the original shapefile. Im sure there is a way to merge or join and get what I need, but so far I have not figured it out.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
you answered your own question....join using the FID field (assuming you are using  shapefiles).  To make the join permanent, simply export the file to a new file (in v 10,right-click on the layer,  Data, Export Data etc)
0 Kudos