Incidence angle between line segments

Jump to solution
11-15-2018 12:46 PM
JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have a script or know of a tool that can calculate incidence angle between line segments?  I've done some searching and there does not appear to be a tool that can do this.  Also, there are other solutions but none that compare line segments that are coincident to each other.  In this case, it is a collection of transmission lines that are separated by poles (nodes) and need to know when an incidence angle is greater than 30 degrees between one arc (line segment) and the next coincident arc (line segment).

Thank-you,

Jim Fritz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

fix both errors and try again

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Jim,

You are more likely to get a reply if you show an image of your data or your problem you want to solve, as what you think is crystal clear to you can often be interpreted in many other ways by the rest of us. That said are you asking to compute the angle as I have drawn below? Red points are your poles and black lines are straight lines between them?

0 Kudos
JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Duncan,

Yes, an image would have helped.

Looking for the interior angle.  The angle value would ideally be assigned to the pole attribute table.incident angle

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Have you explored the ESRI code sharing website? Did not take long to find this tool? This could help

https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d02d22b2130342a4998b2bf8b2b1156d 

JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I did not.  I will take a look.

0 Kudos
JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Duncan,

Using the code in field calculator from the link above (see attached jpg) yields a processing error, also attached in a jpg.  Maybe something simple?

Thanks,

Jim

field calculatorresults window

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

!Shape!  not  !SHAPE!

JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, but the same error message appears.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

fix both errors and try again

0 Kudos
JimFritz
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Dan and Richard!

0 Kudos