Import ArcToolbox Log History

04-03-2016 04:03 PM
BadWolf
New Contributor III

Dear all,

I do not know what  happened but I have lost all my ArcToolbox log history that was available trough "Results" menu.

The strange thing is that I can access the log files that are saved on my harddrive. Those files are on .xml format but I do not know how to import them back to the "Results" history menu.

Can someone give me a help on this? To me is extremely useful to see the results history! It helps me a lot!

Thank you

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A big frown if this is where you are looking.  Kudos for having them on disk!

Results_history.png

0 Kudos
BadWolf
New Contributor III

Hi there Dan!

I know where to look for the history results! The problem is that list was lost, and I do not know why! But I have found the files of my history on my HardDrive! Have a look at this print:

help.png

As you can see, I have very few record on the "Results" menu available through ArcGis, but on my computer I have all the records since the beginning! I really want to add them to the "Results" menu, because its so easy to see them rather than have to open file by file and search for what I want!

Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I have hit the delete all by mistake before .  If I get something to work, I have gotten into the habit of saving to python snippets.

There is some tips for those not familiar with what is being talked about here

Viewing tool execution history—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

and here you can see the various options from the results window

Using the Results window—Help | ArcGIS for Desktopl

At least you have logging history on, so not all is lost

BadWolf
New Contributor III

Thank you for the links!

But do you know if there is any option to load the .xml files of the History folder to the "results" menu on Arcgis?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sorry...that was what my first image was attempting to show...unless someone else knows a workaround

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know there is no way to load these things, or even a nice stylesheet to view them.

0 Kudos
BadWolf
New Contributor III

Really? Oh that are some bad news for me

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I don't know if it is possible to reload, but a word of caution on keeping all the "results"....

The more results you keep in a ArcMap (or Catalog) , the slower the the document (or Catalog) will take to open and close. All that information get written/read with the document.  So it is best practice to thin it out "results" once and a while.

I agree with Dan, if/when you find something that is working and useful, if you right click on the commands in the results window, you can copy the python snippets and save it to a document or python file.  It's not quite as fast as double-clicking the result to rerun, but at least it is protected from mxd issues or auto-clear.

BadWolf
New Contributor III

I honestly did not know that we could save the python snippets to a .txt file.

You have told me that it is possible to put that information on a python file. How can we create a python file?

I'm really not into coding, so I do not know how to do that!

Thanks for all the answers!

0 Kudos