Identify points within ring buffers

Jump to solution
10-10-2016 04:42 PM
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

I have a polygon feature class and a point feature class. I'd like to assign each point to a buffer category, i.e. points within a 300 ft buffer of a polygon would be assigned to "Category 1", points within a 300-1000 ft buffer would be assigned to "Category 2," etc. Seems like a simple task but beyond creating buffers with the "Multiple ring buffer" tool I'm stumped. Suggestions? I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No... you need to buffer first since you want to ensure that the buffers are in place before you join them to the points.  Because you want to know which buffer is associated with the points.  

You can also do an 'Intersect' in the overlay tools Intersect—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

That might be easier for you since the points will intersect the buffer rings without question

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spatial join is one method Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

join the polygon layer to the points.

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

Join and then buffer? I need to categorize the points based on their distance from the polygons.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No... you need to buffer first since you want to ensure that the buffers are in place before you join them to the points.  Because you want to know which buffer is associated with the points.  

You can also do an 'Intersect' in the overlay tools Intersect—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

That might be easier for you since the points will intersect the buffer rings without question

0 Kudos
TinaGrant
New Contributor III

This is the process that worked: First I created the buffers with the Multiple Ring Buffer tool; I had many overlapping buffers so I chose to dissolve "ALL." Then I used Identity (not Intersect) since I needed to include all points, not just those within the buffers.

0 Kudos