How to split a shapefile into multiple files based on a field

05-10-2010 05:15 AM
JensOldeland
New Contributor
Hi,

is there the possibility in ArcGIS 9.X to split a shp into multiple shp's based on a defined field (e.g. name) ?
In the optimal way, the new shp would have the field name in the new shp-name.

I know a freeware GIS that is able to do so but I wonder if ArcGIS allows this easily as well.

Best,
Jens
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JustinFultz
New Contributor III
Dan,

I have tried to use your split tool (the one for version 10) and it keeps failing.  The shapefile output is identical to the input, and it says "ORIG_FID = 12345 did not work" for each record in the input file.  Any ideas as to what is causing this behavior?

Thanks in advance!

Justin
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
1  select and run the tool from within arcmap and not arccatalog
2  select the layer within the TOC and not from disk
if that doesn't work, zip the shapefile and email it to me at my contact email
Dan
0 Kudos
JustinFultz
New Contributor III
Dan,

Sorry, don't know how to get your contact email on from the message board.  I haven't used these forums often.

I have attached a shapefile that is returning the same error as my data.  Seems I get the same message no matter what data I use.

Thanks,

Justin
0 Kudos
JustinFultz
New Contributor III
I have tried on geodatabases and shapefiles, both with the same result. 

This isn't the same data I was working with originally.  That particular data is confidential. I had already created the new shapefile as a test, and had the same result.

The first time I ran the tool was on a feature class in a geodatabase.  Could that have somehow corrupted the tool? ( I know nothing about programming, so that might have been a stupid question)
If so, could I download the tool again and start fresh?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
it must be a shapefile on disk...not in a GDB
start arcmap, add the shapefile
add the toolbox to Arctoolbox (not in ArcCatalog)
Run the tool, select the Layer (not the file on disk, aka don't select the folder icon but the black drop down arrow)
If that doesn't work, then you will have to send me screen grabs of your workflow to
Dan_Patterson AT carleton.ca (it seems that they have removed direct contact to individuals from the forums and/or scripts site)
In short, something about your workflow bothers me and it usually that people are running it from ArcCatalog or have their stuff in a geodatabase
0 Kudos
rrjs67
by
The tool is working perfect on ArcGIS 9.2.
0 Kudos
BradShore1
New Contributor
You could try this tool. I use it all the time in a model that iterates through all the feature classes in a GDB. I think it will work on shapefiles as well, but have not tried.
resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=5DF6784F-1422-2418-7FDC-634CE0437B0B
0 Kudos