Extract Value to points

09-29-2011 11:03 AM
rrjs67
by
Hi
I want to extract Value to points from the polygon shapefile because 'ExtractValuesToPoints' is only available to raster.
Please help me in doing this. I am working on ArcGIS 10.Its very important for my research.
Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Ravi - if you don't have Spatial Analyst, then you could use the IDENTITY geoprocessing tool located in the Data Management toolbox -> Overlay toolset.  Set your points as the INPUT features and your polygon as your IDENTITY features.  Keep ALL join attributes of both input feature classes.  The output is a new point feature class with the polygon attributes.  Delete whatever attribute columns you wish.

Hope this helps!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
rrjs67
by
Robert,

I have spatial analyst license. Thank you for your help.
Please let me know by using spatial analyst.

Thank you
0 Kudos
JontyKnox
New Contributor II
Hi Ravi, it may just be easier for you to use the 'Spatial Join tool'.

Its the same as Joins and Relates but instead assigns attribute values based upon spatial location.

If you right click on the layer you want the attributes added to... I'm guessing the points, select join and relate and then go from there.

Let me know how it works out for you,

Cheers,
Jonty
0 Kudos
rrjs67
by
I don't have a common field to join and relate. I need to extract the population from the census block to the populated communities.
Please help me.
0 Kudos
JontyKnox
New Contributor II
Hi Ravi, You don't need a common field to join and relate to. A spatial join does it based upon spatial data inherently stored within the polygons and points.

Right click on the layer, i.e. The point file>Joins and Relates> Join...>Select 'Join data from another layer based upon spatial location' from the drop down menu in the dialog box. The choose the layer to spatial join to, I'm guessing the polygons, then choose between 'Falls inside' or 'Closest to it' based upon your own preference.

This will give you a new layer with the polygon attributes joined to the point data.
0 Kudos
rrjs67
by
Thank you very much. It helped.
0 Kudos