how to reproject (or copy) a spatial view

Jump to solution
06-06-2013 02:15 PM
TedRakel
New Contributor III
I need to reproject data from sde into a file geodatabase.  I use the arc toolbox 'data management tools'->'projections and transformations'->'project' tool to reproject the feature classes and that works fine.  There are some spatial views in sde that I need to get into the file geodatabase.  I was told to use the same toolbox tool to reproject the spatial views.  Whenever I run the 'project' tool on a spatial view, I get an the following error messages.  The 'row with this OID already exists' message seems important.

I'm wondering if I really do need to use the 'project' tool to reproject the spatial view in the first place.  The feature class that the spatial view makes use of has already been reprojected, so maybe I should use a different tool from arc toolbox to move the spatial view into the file geodatabase.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to best get a spatial view from sde into a file geodatabase?

Here's the error message I get from trying to reproject a  spatial view:

Executing: Project "Database Connections\Connection to orcs.apollo namcis.sde\NAMCIS.SV_115KV_LINES" "C:\ArcFM\Sample Data\svTest.gdb\svTarget" PROJCS['WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere',GEOGCS['GCS_WGS_1984',DATUM['D_WGS_1984',SPHEROID['WGS_1984',6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',0.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',0.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',0.0],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_1',0.0],PARAMETER['Auxiliary_Sphere_Type',0.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]] WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983 PROJCS['Hydro One Lambert Conformal Conic',GEOGCS['GCS_North_American_1983',DATUM['D_North_American_1983',SPHEROID['GRS_1980',6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM['Greenwich',0.0],UNIT['Degree',0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION['Lambert_Conformal_Conic'],PARAMETER['False_Easting',930000.0],PARAMETER['False_Northing',6430000.0],PARAMETER['Central_Meridian',-85.0],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_1',44.5],PARAMETER['Standard_Parallel_2',53.5],PARAMETER['Scale_Factor',1.0],PARAMETER['Latitude_Of_Origin',0.0],UNIT['Meter',1.0]]
Start Time: Thu Jun 06 16:05:40 2013
ERROR 000210: Cannot create output C:\ArcFM\Sample Data\svTest.gdb\svTarget
A row with this OID already exists.
Failed to execute (Project).
Failed at Thu Jun 06 16:05:48 2013 (Elapsed Time: 8.00 seconds)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Views, including spatial views, are DBMS creatures.
That is to say, they exist in a particular relational database
by virtue of SQL
and are not supported in file geodatabases.

Layer files saved on disk are the analogous file geodatabase entities (sort of).

So, you can either export (and optionaly, reproject) your spatial views
as individual file gdb feature classes, or
export (and optionaly, reproject) your source feature class
and recreate the views as feature layers, saving the layers to disk.

If your spatial view is accessing data from several tables in the DBMS
then recreating it in a file geodatabase might be complicated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdenil
by virtue of SQL

Layer files saved on disk are the analogous file geodatabase entities (sort of).

0 Kudos
TedRakel
New Contributor III
Do you know of any toolbox tools that I can use to export a spatial view (and optionaly, reproject) as a individual file gdb feature class ?  Or of any arc objects interfaces that I can use to do this?  Thanks

by virtue of SQL

0 Kudos
markdenil
You write that "...The feature class that the spatial view makes use of has already been reprojected..."
If this is the case, the spatial views should already have the corrrect coordinate system.
It can be checked in ArcCatalog.
if it is what you intend, you would use copy features, just like saving a feature layer to a feature class.
0 Kudos