How to get to use Erase tool (coverage tools)

01-04-2016 03:07 AM
MasiMailammi
New Contributor

Hi, I need to use the erase tool (coverage tools), but it requires ArcInfo Workstation. That has been deprecated 31.12.2015. How can I use the tool if Arcinfo isn't available anymore. Is there some other tool that does exactly the same thing? Or can I add the tool directly to ArcMap?

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Information

This is the tool for coverages

Erase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

This is the information

Licensing Information
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Basic: No
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Standard: No
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced: Requires ArcInfo Workstation installed

This is what is available now

Erase—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

and its information

Licensing Information
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Basic: No
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Standard: No
  • ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced: Yes
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

And just to add to Dan's comment....

ArcGIS Desktop  Advanced if the "ArcInfo" level, so although you don't need Workstation installed to use the Desktop Erase tools, you still need to be licensed at that level.

If you are not, but still have an ArcInfo workstation license that works (maybe older version that is out of maintenance but still legal otherwise), it is still possible to get Workstation up and running on even the newer operating systems, although some things may not work properly.  just an fyi.

0 Kudos
MasiMailammi
New Contributor

Thanks for the answers. I don't have that licence level so I can't use the tool. It feels weird considering that I can use for example merge and clip tools. I think they should be clustered into the same toolbox.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you only have a few, then you will have to do it manually in either an edit session by overlaying and clipping

Clip one or more features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop

like cutting a hole

Cut a hole in a polygon feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop