How to georeference multiple images in ArcGIS 10.1

09-06-2013 03:46 AM
StineMoe
New Contributor
I have scanned about 200 aerial photographies and want to georeference these to fit the area they are covering. I'm using the Imagery basemap, because this is the only free georeferenced map I have found of the area.

This basemap is a very big file, covering the whole world. For my project i only need a small part of Greenland. Does anyone know if it is possible to crop this map to only cover my area of interest?

Second question, when i georeference one picture and rectify this it is saved so that I can close and open it again. But when i try to put another picture in the same file and georeference the second picture, the first one snapps back to original position.

Is it possible to georefernece several pictures in the same file, to make them fit together?

Hope to get a quick answer!

Stine M.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Question 1: You can capture a static snapshot of the basemap to your local drive, and use that. This involves turning off all layers except the basemap in dataview, zooming to your area of interest, then choose "Export Map" and select to PNG or TIff, and select "Create World File." You will get a georeferenced image on your local machine, that you can use independant of the image / basemap server.
Question 2: Once you have selected rectify image, the georeferencing is built into the file. However, it is in the new file created, not the original, so add the newly created file to your map and use that instead of the original. To update the original file, choose "update georeferencing". Then you can move on to the next aerial and the first should show in the position where you have relocated/georeferenced it.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos