How to create a polygon based on a predetermined acreage amount?

04-08-2010 08:49 AM
AnitaOlsen
New Contributor
Hello,
I need to create a polygon (circle, square, etc.) that is exactly 6 acres.  Is there a simple method/tool for doing this that I am missing??

Thank You,
Anita
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
The Parcel Divison tool included with the Parcel Editor toolbar will get the job done for you, however your parcel data (which I assume you're working with) will need to be in Parcel Fabric. 

To convert your exisitng data to the Parcel Fabric, use the Parcel Fabric Tools Toolbox and the Data Migration Toolset inside GP.

Attached is a screenshot of the tool, I think you'll find it useful.

Thanks!

Chris

Parcel Editing Team
0 Kudos
MarkMurphy1
New Contributor III
Chris,

I understand this is not available before v10.  Is there a way we can get at this functionality before then?

Thanks
0 Kudos
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Somewhat clumsy but you can use the Windows calculator or other means to get the radius of a circle in your map units needed for 6 acres (e.g. square root of 43560*6/pi for map units of feet), or the length of a side in a square (e.g. square root of 43560*6), and copy that to the clipboard.  Then either use the circle graphic or the circle tool on the Advanced editor toolbar and start drawing your circle and while doing so hit the r key.  Paste in the radius and you have your 6 acres.

I cannot find an equivalent method for a square unfortunately, but with a square graphic you can open its properties, and on the size tab paste in the lengths.  You could convert that for a square shape or you could use the cogo tool or the sketch tool (right click and use the direction/length tool) to paste in the needed distance and angles.  Copy and paste if you need a few more.

Or you could create a vector grid (e.g. Hawth's Tools) using the calculated square's line lengths and then just select out as many as you need and delete the rest.
0 Kudos