How to convert DEM into .xyz file ?

12-23-2013 09:22 PM
sumitjha1
New Contributor II
Hello everyone,

1. How to convert DEM into a .xyz file, I am using ArcGIS 9.3 for my work ?

2. Is it possible to create Bathymetry map using Digital elevation Model (DEM) ?

Thanks & Regards,
Sumit
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
1.  By .xyz, do you mean a text file with x, y, and z coordinates?
If so, use Raster To Point (conversion toolbox) to make a point file
then use Export Feature Attribute to ASCII (Spatial Statistics)
to get coordinates and attribute values to a space, comma, or semi-colon delimited ASCII text file.

2. yes

if you want isolines,
try Contour, which needs a Spatial Analyst license.
0 Kudos
sumitjha1
New Contributor II
Thank you so much Mark,

Regards,
Sumit
0 Kudos
MikeWall
New Contributor
Hello I'm new here I'm having a problem merging four USGS topo DEM quadrangles of San Francisco using MicroDEM Please see Imgur link to screenshot in case .png doesn't upload = http://i.imgur.com/bbJELgk.png As you can see I keep getting error message my (free) install of MicroDEM missing some ".dbf" file, and then will only open window for "output merge" folder location, not open a 'select merge files' window to click on the 4 .dem files to merge them. I've tried uninstalling/re-installing MicroDEM multiple times to no avail getting same error/result.

Anyone out there that has a properly working version of MicroDEM that has successfully merged DEM files (..or other DEM merging software that'll do the trick), and then save merged file as single ASCII XYZ file and email it to me? (not sure how big it would be - I have gmail file limit of 25 MB, but can also do cloud upload/download if need be). I need a single ASCII XYZ to supply a CNC model company so owner can open in AutoCAD and create 3D model for me for a project.

Help is greatly appreciated thank you in advance!!! 😄
0 Kudos