How do you document a process in model builder for ArcGIS 10?

07-19-2010 03:06 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
All,

We have just accquired the new ArcGIS 10 and I have been experimenting with model builder. I'm a big fan in documenting such tools as I never remember why, when & how I did things 6 months ago!

In 9.3 when you were in model builder you could right-click on a process (the yellow box) and "edit documentation". This does not exist any more in ArcGIS 10, or does it and you have to access it via some other route?

In ArcCatalog 10 you can add documentation to a parameter through Item description but I have yet to find a way how to document the process. Has this been dropped?

Duncan
0 Kudos
19 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
This functionality was removed in 10.0 (due to the new Item Description framework)
0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor
New Contributor III
Is there any way for me to update, edit, or otherwise revise the substantial documentation I created before version 10?

I will miss the parameter by parameter documentation option.
0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor
New Contributor III
This functionality was removed in 10.0 (due to the new Item Description framework)

For models created in 9.3, I can still see the parameter-by-parameter documentation.

When I select "help" for models I created in 10.0, I see the good old template, with each parameter listed, "usage." all that stuff.

But I have not figured out how to update the documentation for these parameters as I was able to do in 9.3. It seems to be there, but I don't know how to get at it.

Is this possible in 10.0?

The "Item Description" is just basically a summary page, as far as I can tell so far.

Thank you
0 Kudos
TylerBragg
New Contributor II
Randy,

I am having the same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  You are right--when you right-click on the model in ArcCatalog, you can select "Help" and see the process-by-process description, but I have found no way to edit that description.  Removing this functionality was a bad idea; a general model "Item Description" does not pay the bills for documenting model processing.  We need to be able to create an explanation for each tool.  Hopefully someone has found a way to edit/create this documentation, especially since you CAN see it when you open the Help.  Doesn't make sense if it's there in the "help" but you can't input that information.  Thanks.

Tyler
0 Kudos
ChristopherMorneau
New Contributor II
I have models that I created in 9.3.1 & earlier that contain VBA code.  As I upgrade them to Python-based code & make other modifications per Release 10, I have a need to revise existing documentation.  I, too, am frustrated at not being able to do this in the new release.  Thus far, I have found nothing in ArcGIS 10 Help or the ArcGIS Resource Center to assist me in resolving this issue (but I'll keep looking).

Meanwhile, I have a related issue.  I recently created a simple model containing only two processes & I wanted to add documentation, specifically for the parameters.  In "A quick tour of documenting tools and toolboxes" in ArcGIS 10 Help, it says to right-click the tool & click Item Description, which displays the Description page.  Fine, except when I do so, the title bar on the window refers to something completely different than my model.  For example, it will show the name of the currently highlighted directory in ArcCatalog.  Therein, the Item Description window is providing the wrong template - not the one I should be getting for my newly created tool, but rather for an existing file directory.  In the Item Description window after Summary, I should see fields for Usage, Syntax, Code Samples, & Credits.  I see none of that.  Instead, after Summary, I see Description, Credits, & Use Limitation.  What gives?  Am I missing something here?

Chris Morneau
L.A. County Dept. of Regional Planning
0 Kudos
ChristopherMorneau
New Contributor II
In following up on these issues, I have discovered the following:

In ArcCatalog, select (highlight) the tool in the Catalog Tree window first, then right-click the tool in the ArcToolbox window.  Click on Item Description & click on the Edit button in the Item Description window.  Make edits as needed (e.g., Dialog Reference, etc.) & click save.  Now, when the tool is re-opened, its dialog will show the documentation revisions.

So, yes, I found what I was missing, & I hope this helps others.  But I feel that ESRI should clarify their Help documentation on this topic.  In "A quick tour of documenting tools and toolboxes" in ArcGIS 10 Help, it should state upfront that the tool needs to be selected in the Catalog Tree window before doing anything.

Chris Morneau
L.A. County Dept. of Regional Planning
0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor
New Contributor III
Randy,

I am having the same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?  You are right--when you right-click on the model in ArcCatalog, you can select "Help" and see the process-by-process description, but I have found no way to edit that description.  Removing this functionality was a bad idea; a general model "Item Description" does not pay the bills for documenting model processing.  We need to be able to create an explanation for each tool.  Hopefully someone has found a way to edit/create this documentation, especially since you CAN see it when you open the Help.  Doesn't make sense if it's there in the "help" but you can't input that information.  Thanks.

Tyler

Looks like this has been answered. I'll just chime in to say that yes, detailed documentation must be entered in ArcCatalog.

Still, there are issues....

I don't like having to fire up ArcCatalog. It is slow to come up, and takes up resources, so I have to close it down afterwords.

Graphics added to the documentation display so inconsistently that I have quit adding them in. I have no idea what the pattern is. Some show, some don't. Some show when you hit "Item Description," but not when you hit "Help." Some show when you hit "Item Description" in ArcCatalog, but not in ArcMap. Exasperating.

Also, I have one script in particular that has some old, out-of-date text that appears when the script is run. I need to update it, but I cannot find it. My users are getting an eyeful of erroneous information when they fire up the tool.

I'm sure there is a "workaround," but there shouldn't need to be. The old script tool documentation worked beautifully ... without a hitch. Never had a single problem with it. This new thing has been a pain and has reduced the amount of documentation I can provide.
0 Kudos
ValCannon
New Contributor III
I agree that this is a big problem. Until I heard of the work-around, I wanted to keep a 9.3.1 machine around just for documenting models.
0 Kudos
EmelineRenz
New Contributor III
Does this article help?

HowTo:  Add descriptive text in the model dialog
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=38595

Please let me know if you have any feedback on this process!
0 Kudos