How do I clip data?!

05-06-2010 08:35 AM
LindseyWinn
New Contributor III
I'm performing a simple clip analysis tool, but the data from the clipped feature is entirely in the attribute table (when all I want is the correct proportion of data). How do I clip a feature and get the right data in the attribute table? Do I use a different tool? I have ArcInfo. I wasn't sure where to post this question. Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarshaHardy
New Contributor II
Do you mean you have numeric fields and you want a proportional value in you ouput row, based on the area of the shape after clipping? Are you working with shapefiles or geodatabases?

No idea, sorry. But I'd be very keen to hear the answer.

MapInfo can perform a field calculation which works out the proportion of a numeric field based on interesecting shapes

I can only think of adding a new shapearea field, then looping all numeric fields and recalculating them.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Use the Make Feature Layer tool to create a temporary layer.  In the Make Feature Layer tool, the Field Info parameter has a column, Use Ratio Policy.  For each attribute you want to be apportioned throughout the overlay, check the Use Ratio Policy box.

Use the output of Make Feature Layer as the input to the clip tool.

This technique is explained in the presentation "Fundamentals of GIS Analysis - Overlay and Proximity" found here:  http://resources.esri.com/geoprocessing/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=16478
0 Kudos