Help with using Intersect/Clip in ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
07-17-2014 06:47 AM
JackWiseman
New Contributor II

I am trying to find the points at which two different files intersect. I have tried running both intersect and clip to find those points but whenever I run them the shapefile that is prouced is empty. Both files are a series of polygons, I've been reading and trying different things but I can't see where I'm going wrong, would anyone be able to suggest what it could be?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

This sounds like it may be to do with how the intersect tool works. It depends on what geometries you are trying to intersect, these variables produce different results that follow intersection rules which you can find below.

If you are trying to create a point feature where two or more polygons intersect, you have to bear in mind the output type you assign in the intersect tool as well as the intersect rule.

IntersectTool.jpg

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Intersect.jpg

I hope this helps...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

This sounds like it may be to do with how the intersect tool works. It depends on what geometries you are trying to intersect, these variables produce different results that follow intersection rules which you can find below.

If you are trying to create a point feature where two or more polygons intersect, you have to bear in mind the output type you assign in the intersect tool as well as the intersect rule.

IntersectTool.jpg

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Intersect.jpg

I hope this helps...

0 Kudos
JackWiseman
New Contributor II

Cheers Simon, I changed the output type to point and that gave me exactly what I'm after! Thanks again!