Generating attributes in a point feature based on a route feature

05-27-2014 06:57 AM
AB4
by
New Contributor
I have a railway line route feature class which has one element (sketch). It has a numeric start Chainage value (milestone) which is zero and an end Chainage value which is 145,376 metres.

I have a point feature class with many locations either side of this route feature class. I need to assign each of these points with the nearest Chainage value (accuracy to 1 metre along the route) and a corresponding distance (metres) to the route and bearing (angle). For example, I need to know what Chainage value is the nearest to the point and asssign a chainage value that is accurate to 1 metre. The near analysis tool will only assign the Object ID (FID) from the route feature class to the point feature class with the start and end chainage value for a long segment of the route.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a railway line route feature class which has one element (sketch). It has a numeric start Chainage value (milestone) which is zero and an end Chainage value which is 145,376 metres.

I have a point feature class with many locations either side of this route feature class. I need to assign each of these points with the nearest Chainage value (accuracy to 1 metre along the route) and a corresponding distance (metres) to the route and bearing (angle). For example, I need to know what Chainage value is the nearest to the point and asssign a chainage value that is accurate to 1 metre. The near analysis tool will only assign the Object ID (FID) from the route feature class to the point feature class with the start and end chainage value for a long segment of the route.

Use Locate Features Along Route to get measures from the Route assigned to the output that are interpolated from the actual position where each point fell along the railroad.  Use the Distance field option to get the side offset distance.

The Normal Angle of the railroad to the point can be created by turning the event table into a layer and generating a Normal angle value to the railroad.  You can use the offset distance to see if the points align to the original.  Severe angles in the line or points beyond the line end will have issues with the angle, but you could use the original XY of the points stored in fields against the new XY of the point on the line to generate an angle value in cases where the normal to the railroad is not correct.
0 Kudos