Generate polygons around points

02-01-2013 09:34 AM
SteveRoberts
New Contributor
Hello! Need Help!

I have point shapefiles that contain hundreds of point along a Right of Way. I need to create polyons that are generally 60m x50m around them...which is the easy part. I can do this, however, I need the edges to match that of the right of way exactly.
My trouble is...I can create a 60m x 50 box centered over each point, but how do I get them to edge match and stay within a right of way. Image example attached. [ATTACH=CONFIG]21333[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21334[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Wayne_Whitley

Offhand, the only thing I can think of is use of the snapping environment....which will likely require editing interaction on your part?
Are you looking for more of an automated solution?
0 Kudos
STEPHENROBERTS2
New Contributor
Yes, need automation. It would to take too long to digitize these polygons manually.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dmhoneycutt

First thought: would the Snap tool work for you? (requires ArcEditor/Standard or ArcInfo/Advanced license

If Snap doesn't work for you, I've got other ideas: can you create your polygons in such a way that you can insure that they overlap the right-of-ways?  If you can do this, then you could create the polygons then clip them to the right-of-ways.
0 Kudos
JustinMeyers
New Contributor III
make the ROW a polygon and clip the data?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dmhoneycutt

My thought is:

1. Create the polygons from your points

2. Using the Feature To Polygon tool, input your polygons and your right-of-way lines.  The output will be polygons constructed from the right-of-ways and your polygons.  (See this series of blog posts about spaghetti and meatballs for more explanation)

3. Select only those polygons that overlay your original points.  Several ways to do this--Select By Attributes, Spatial Join, Intersect, etc. 

This only works if your polygons (the ones you create from your points) overlap the ROW lines.
0 Kudos