Generate Near Table tool crashes.

10-09-2015 04:32 PM
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

Every time I try to use the 'Generate Near Table' tool, it crashes and closes the ArcMap 10.2.2 along with it. Both the Near feature and the Input features are point shapefiles. Can anyone suggest a remedy for this problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you provide details, such as, are the files in the same coordinate system? what was the exact error message?

0 Kudos
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

Dear Mr. Patterson,

The files are in the same coordinate system. In fact, I have created one of these shapefiles from the other one. There is no error message at all, the program abruptly closes. I have later tried to use the tool on a different set of shapefiles, also with same coordinate system , only to witness the crash once again with no warning.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have to show the parameters you are specifying as inputs and outputs to the tool, since it appears to be with your settings if it happens with other datasets.  Screen grabs would be useful​

0 Kudos
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

Here is a screen-shot of the 'Generate Near Table' input dialogue box sir.Screenshot (13).png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
  • try saving the file to a different folder  ie c:\temp\x.txt
  • make sure the file has a *.txt or *.dbf file extension
  • try the file against itself and if that works
  • try against the file you want repeating the above 2
0 Kudos
RaghunandanBaireddy1
New Contributor III

Mr. Patterson, thank you so much for taking the time to help me sir.

I have tried everything you suggested with no success. However, I have made another startling discovery! This problem of crashing is not just with the 'Generate Near Table' tool but with every other tool in the Arc Toolbox! Do you have any idea why something like this might happen sir? Also, the search feature in ArcMAp is unresponsive.

Update: I was able to partially fix this problem by unchecking the 'enable background processing' option in the 'Geo-processing Options'. I can now use the Arc Toolbox without crashing the program. However, the search feature still does not work. When I click on the search button nothing happens at all.

ClairePollard
New Contributor

This is an old post, but I came across the same problem of ArcMap crashing with the Near tool. I found the solution....The features need to be different types of feature classes or else the Near tool will crash. For Instance, you need to use a point and a line, or a line and a polygon, etc....

0 Kudos