Generate Attachment Table Help

2204
2
Jump to solution
07-08-2013 04:34 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LangdonMS

I've been working to add many attachments (.pdf forms) to point files.  I've gone through the help in the resource center, to first Generate Attachment Match Table, and then use this table to link my records with the path to their needed attachment. 

The Problem
When I use the tool or python code, the resulting match table seems to match the Object ID of my points with the Feature ID, rather than the Feature ID with the picture name needed. Illustrated below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25785[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]25786[/ATTACH]



We have points named by Outfall_ID as a long integer number.  We have pdf forms labeled 2.pdf, 234.pdf etc.  These .pdf names correspond to the Outfall_ID, NOT the Object_ID assigned by the GIS.  When I choose OutfallID in the tool "Key Field," the resulting table does not match my attachments; ie. MATCH ID = 7 and Filename = 358.pdf.  I figured out what is happening - the match table is being created and populated with the OID from my features and their OutfallID and NOT the names of the files.

What I've Tried So Far
I need ArcGIS to use a table with MATCHID and Filename, with 1 = 1.pdf, 2=2.pdf etc to link my Feature names with my .pdf names.  I've tried manually making a table to be used but this has not been recognized when I try to add attachments with this match table.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Langdon
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LangdonMS

Problem Solved (User Error!)

I was having trouble because I had confused myself, but after a good night of sleep I revisited.   After the attachment table above was created (it is actually correct, linking OID with my FeatureID), I simply needed to select OID as my join field rather than FeatureID when I went to the Add Attachments tool.  This then showed that ObjectID (of 7) has a FeatureID (of 358) and so it gets that Feature's .pdf file (358.pdf). 

Using the Add Attachments tool worked fine once OID and MatchID were selected as the join fields. 

So success after realizing my mistake.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: LangdonMS

Problem Solved (User Error!)

I was having trouble because I had confused myself, but after a good night of sleep I revisited.   After the attachment table above was created (it is actually correct, linking OID with my FeatureID), I simply needed to select OID as my join field rather than FeatureID when I went to the Add Attachments tool.  This then showed that ObjectID (of 7) has a FeatureID (of 358) and so it gets that Feature's .pdf file (358.pdf). 

Using the Add Attachments tool worked fine once OID and MatchID were selected as the join fields. 

So success after realizing my mistake.
0 Kudos
LangdonSanders3
New Contributor II
Additional note:

I also found it useful to rename all of our attachments to have the same length of identifier number. Instead of file name "1 photo.jpg",2, 300, etc. they were renamed to "1001 photoname date.jpg",1002, 1300 etc.

Without having the identifiers as the same length (in this case 4 digits) the attachment match table would link incorrect files such as Outfall ID 2 would be matched with 2, 21-29, 201, etc.  Changing the naming conventions solved this problem.
0 Kudos