Feilds to a Point ModelBuilder help

06-13-2013 11:52 AM
ChristopherGraf
New Contributor III
I have am making a model that adds a few fields to a feature class, populates them and is then supposed to put those new fields into a 'Point" so they can be exported to CAD as a point. I am able to create a new 'Point' and I can make a feature class, or Polygon, or table with the fields that I need. I cannot, however, get those populated fields to the 'Point'. I do not have licensing access to the Feature to Point Tool, so that doesn't help me. Anyone know a way around this?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ChristopherGraf
New Contributor III
*Fields to Point
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
So, you've created points from polygons and need to transfer the attributes from the polygon to the point inside? That sounds like a Spatial Join. Or, are you still missing any steps in between?
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraf
New Contributor III
I used Table to dBASE to turn my feature class into a table, then Make XY Event Layer to make a point layer out of the table. My problem now is that I can't physically find the Layer in ArcMap. I thought that didn't matter, so I went ahead and tried to finish with Export to CAD, but I get 2 errors. One saying it cannot read the Seed I give it, and another saying the output cannot be created. I would like to test Export to CAD manually to see that works, but I can't because I can't find the Layer. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
If you run Make XY Event Layer as a tool in ArcMap, it automatically adds the layer to the map. If you run it from inside a model, it won't add it to the map unless you right-click the output (green box) and choose Add to Display.

edit: I tried running Export to CAD on a feature layer (i.e. the output of Make XY Event Layer), and got an error, saying it couldn't read the layer. I exported the layer to a shapefile, and Export to CAD worked on that.
0 Kudos
ChristopherGraf
New Contributor III
I got everything to work and export to CAD, except the Lot points didn't have the numbers over them because in the template I have to use, the field is 00, but the field I added was x00, because ModelBuilder would not allow me to add a field name starting with a number. Manually, I can add a field name 00 to a shapefile, but not in the model.

At one point I was also able to add field 00, AFTER I used Table to dBASE to change the feature to a table, and then calculated the fields after Make XY Event Layer. For some reason then, I got the Lot points and the numbers over, but the CentroidY came out as 0's, so it was just a horizontal line with numbers. Since then I validated the model and NOW it won't let me add the field '00' after the table.   I don't know how else to fix what seem like minor things. Any ideas?
0 Kudos