Feature to polygon tool (Arcmap 10.3.1) creates too many polygon features from the input line features through overlapping

01-01-2022 05:33 AM
MarinaGeo
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'd like to create polygons from my line feature class. I used the "Feature to polygon" tool, but the output is creating split polygons when lines overlap, see image example:

Here there should be 2 features= 2 rectangles. However the tool has created 5 polygons. Is there a way to correct the output or a way to create the correct output from the line feature class with a different process?

Thanks

MarinaGeo_0-1641043687815.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In newer versions of the software, Dissolve Boundaries, but in 10.3, then 

Dissolve (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

you will have to assign them a common attribute first, or

Just get into an edit session and merge them

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In newer versions of the software, Dissolve Boundaries

@DanPatterson can you provide a link, I don't see this option in current ArcMap or Pro. (And, happy new year!)

My advice would be to create the polygons one by one with a ModelBuilder iterator (or python) and then use the Append tool to combine single-polygon feature classes. This would be a pretty slow, so this workaround would only be appropriate if you have hundreds, not thousands of features to create. Another workaround (more advanced) would be to use arcpy geometry methods in Python to to read the lines, compose a polygon from the vertices, and write the geometries.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Dissolve Boundaries (Standard Feature Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation doesn't need an optional field for adjacent polygons.  (Happy new year to you too!)

... sort of retired...