Select to view content in your preferred language

Feature Class XY Domain Difference

07-25-2014 10:13 AM
JenniferDick
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm comparing feature classes using the Compare Feature tool in the ArcToolBox. One of the layers is a SDE 9.1 layer and we've re-created it in SDE 10.1. I'm using this tool to compare the differences and similarities.

One common difference is the XY Domain for example, I've attached to Feature Class Properties screen shots for both layers. The 10.1 domain is remarkably different, is this because of the high precision?

I know that high precision storage allows you to store coordinates closer together while expanding the x,y,z,m domain. Is this what's happening here?

Please help

Thanks

Jennifer 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JenniferDick
New Contributor II

What do you think about this Vince...

I'm trying to understand what our developer did in the back end when importing the layers to SDE 10.1. This is my thought below:

The Original Resolution = 0.0000001, I'm guessing to specify a smaller finer resolution, the value was divided evenly into the original XY resolution iteratively based on a power of 2. Therefore, to get obtain the higher resolution in the 10.1 database, 0.0000001/(2^6) equation was used?.

Am I'm loosing my mind? lo

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It's hard to say.  If a coordref upgrade was required, the UI might have offered that solution.

I much prefer XYscale values whose base-10 logarithm is a whole number.  If nothing else, it prevents rounding issues.

0 Kudos