Extract by Mask for each feature in a feature class

06-18-2010 04:10 PM
RichNauman
New Contributor III
Hello,

I am trying to create a python script to loop through each feature in a feature class and use each feature as the mask for an extract by mask.

Basically I have 12 polygons and want to calculate the mean value of a raster for each polygon - I could split the feature class into 12 feature classes each with one feature and loop through a list of the feature classes but that doesn't seem like the most elegant solution.

Any suggestions?

I tried a using a search cursor to loop through each row and use each row as the mask input value but get  an "Error in executing tool" error.

How do I covert the row object into an input for the tool?

Thanks,

Richard Nauman
Spatial Analysis Program Manager
National Center for Conservation Science and Policy
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KimOllivier
Occasional Contributor III
Create an array object to receive the geometry from the row.
Then you can use that temporary feature as a mask polygon.
0 Kudos
JeffLee
New Contributor II
You need a search cursor and as you loop through the feature class table create a feature layer with each feature, then use the feature layer to clip your raster.  Here is a little bit of code that should help.

Wrows = gp.SearchCursor(WatershedPath)
Wrow = Wrows.next()
Nfeatures = gp.GetCount_management(WatershedPath)
gp.addmessage(str(Nfeatures) + " Records to Process")
count = 1

while Wrow:
[INDENT]      WFValue = str(Wrow.GetValue(WLayerF))
      gp.addmessage("Processing watershed " + str(WFValue))
      gp.MakeFeatureLayer_management(WatershedPath, "lyr", "OBJECTID="+str(Wrow.OBJECTID))
      gp.ExtractbyMask_sa(IFI, "lyr", OutFolder + "/" + WFValue)
      gp.delete("lyr")
      Wrow = Wrows.next()[/INDENT]

Watch for the indent as I just can't figure out how to post python code like in the old forum.  How the hell does one post code in this contraption?
0 Kudos
StefanHaglund1
Esri Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to create a python script to loop through each feature in a feature class and use each feature as the mask for an extract by mask.

Basically I have 12 polygons and want to calculate the mean value of a raster for each polygon - I could split the feature class into 12 feature classes each with one feature and loop through a list of the feature classes but that doesn't seem like the most elegant solution.

Any suggestions?

I tried a using a search cursor to loop through each row and use each row as the mask input value but get  an "Error in executing tool" error.

How do I covert the row object into an input for the tool?

Thanks,

Richard Nauman

Hi Richard,

If you want to calculate statistics of a raster you could use the Zonal Statistics tool in Spatial Analyst. It should give you what you want without needing to code.

Cheers,
Nooski
0 Kudos
RichNauman
New Contributor III
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Snoop pointed me in the direction I needed to go - The MakeFeatureLayer_management step with the where clause is what I didn't know how to do.

Richard Nauman
0 Kudos