Export map as 16bit or ASCII

07-15-2018 07:21 AM
-SonGoku-
New Contributor

Hi.

I have many hgt files (SRTMGL1) and a grd file (bathymetric data). I can see both at ArcMap, but I can save it only as 8bit files, but I need 16 bit. Is there a way to save it as 16bit or maybe as a ASCII file?

Something like Mosaic to ASCII would be nice. ^^

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Copy Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop has the optional parameter to specify a pixel type and a scale_pixel_value if you want to do scaling at the same time.

-SonGoku-
New Contributor

When I try to use my Group Layer with all the files in it as input, I get the error 000735: Input Raster: Value is required. 😕

Edit: OK. Saved this GroupLayer as layer file and used this as Input, but now I get the "error 999999: Error execution function." and below several times: "Missing raster band wavelength properties.". Then it fails.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can't use a group layer... a single layer is needed

0 Kudos
-SonGoku-
New Contributor

So we are at the beginning of the problem again. ^^

I have many hgt files (each is one layer) and one grd file.

The hgt files are the land (every file has: "Display background value at 0m" to show the bathymetric data)

I would be something simplwe like photoshop. bahymetric is the background and the SRTMGL1 is in front of it.

I just want to export the combined SRTMGL1 and the bathymetric data as a 16 bit TIFF or as a ASC file.

I hope there is solution for this 🙂 And thx for the help till now.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

mosaic to new raster,

copy raster to do the bit thing

Of course if they don't have any coordinate systems associated with them, then photoshop might be a good idea

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

But the first line in the help says....

Saves a copy of a raster dataset or converts a mosaic dataset into a single raster dataset.
0 Kudos
-SonGoku-
New Contributor

OK. I tried different things now. I have now my bathymetric data as a tif file and also all my hgt files are also now one tif file. Both are 16-bit. 🙂 But when I try "Mosaic to new Raster" I get two different results depending on what format I choose.

When I choose tif, I get a 22.5 GB large file, but the program never stops the "Mosaic to nnew Raster" process. I also can't open the tif file in anywhere.

When I choose a ESRI format, like BSQ, the file gets larger and larger, till my harddrive is full. Was over 450 GB large.

I also tried to open the two tif, that I have now in Photoshop, but everything is black with some white spots at the coast. I don't know how to get the real colors, that I see at ArcMap.

That is the current state of my map.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you are using arcmap you are probably running out of resources.

As for the file size... too big an area for the cell size probably.

What is the reason that it is critical to have them both together?

Mosaic dataset? is it out of the question?

0 Kudos