Executing spatial join takes long (ModelBuilder)

01-11-2012 04:24 AM
DavidJosepha
New Contributor
Hi there,

I have ArcInfo 10, and all service packs installed.
But my problem is I'm trying to run a model that I've build with modelbuider. The thing is everything runs smoothly but when it comes ta execute the specified spatial join it runs forever without completing(but does not crash).
What i'm trying to do is: a spatial join of 2 polygons.
Does anyone know what the problem might be. Or has anyone had this problem.
I'm stuck and can't continue with my work.
BTW i've tried to do a "CLIP" also same thing.:confused: 
But another strange thing is that I have other models which has spatial join in them which runs without a problem.

please help

David
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
David,

So let me get this straight. At some point your model generates 2 layers each containing 1 polygon and you are using the spatial join tool on these?

Have you tried to use the spatial join tool on these layers only (so not part of any model) to see what happens?

If these polygons are not top secret maybe you can zip them up and post on this thread?

Duncan
0 Kudos
DavidJosepha
New Contributor
Hi there,

I've decided to post my piece of model right here.
What is does is create 2 feature classes both containing polygons and performs a spatialjoin on these 2 feature classes.
I've just tried an older database containing the data and it ran smoothly.
So i decided to make a new geaodatabase and run it from there and it don't go again.
Can it be that the data can be corrupted? Or is it an arcgis bug?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11087[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
Just a guess here, but could it be possible that the feature to polygon tool is generating a Feature Class that contains no data?  A newer geodatabase will support a higher level of precision and so none of your polylines form polygons, whilst an older geodatabase has a lower level of precision and everything "snaps" to form enclosed areas?

Duncan
0 Kudos
DavidJosepha
New Contributor
The feature to polygon does generates data (polygons).
It all comes down to the spatialjoin, where it gets stuck.

David.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor
David,

Can you zip up some sample data that it fails on for others to review?

Duncan
0 Kudos