Excruciatingly Slow Geocoding

08-10-2011 08:58 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
I work for City Government, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
My Geodatabases, SDE, are managed by out IT department.
Twice per week, we get regular updates from another government entity, INCOG.
This is the second time where I believe (but can't pinpoint the reason) the update to the SDE Databases has completely fried the Feature Cache I use.
I think this is what is happening because when I geocode an address and pan to it.
What usually takes roughly 10-20 seconds, now takes 3:45. And I used a stopwatch.

Normally, I type in the address, hit enter.
It says FOUND. I right click and select PAN TO.
20-30 seconds later that location is loaded on screen and ready for me to select parcels.

Now, it can 3:45 seconds to get that entire page loaded.
If I select a Parcel, it takes another 3:45 to load into the Identify window.

So all in all, to verify addresses... what used to take under a minute, can now take upwards of 10-15 minutes. Because sometimes the geocoder get's you CLOSE... so you have to pan the screen... each pan takes 3:45 second.

EACH PAN takes 3:45.

HELP! I'm slowly losing my mind...
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Check your spatial index on the feature classes that you are drawing. if it is a bad index it may have to fetch all features every time you pan/zoom. You can verify a "bad index" by doing an identify on a feature and see how long it takes. If it is not quick then it is a bad index.
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Check your spatial index on the feature classes that you are drawing. if it is a bad index it may have to fetch all features every time you pan/zoom. You can verify a "bad index" by doing an identify on a feature and see how long it takes. If it is not quick then it is a bad index.
Jay Sandhu

It is running slow... identify takes the same 3:45 to load as panning or zooming or any screen change. How do I fix a bad index?
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
In ArcCatalog, right click on the Feature Class and select Properties.  In the Feature Class Properties window, select the Indexes tab.  Towards the bottom the Index GUI, select Recalculate for the Spatial Index.  It will update the Spatial Index for that feature class.  There's also a tool called Calculate Default Spatial Grid Index in the Data Management toolbox -> Feature Class toolset.

Good luck!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
In ArcCatalog, right click on the Feature Class and select Properties.  In the Feature Class Properties window, select the Indexes tab.  Towards the bottom the Index GUI, select Recalculate for the Spatial Index.  It will update the Spatial Index for that feature class.  There's also a tool called Calculate Default Spatial Grid Index in the Data Management toolbox -> Feature Class toolset.

Good luck!

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

I cannot thank you enough. I believe this has fixed it. Goodness that was painful! I have infinite patience when working with humans, but give me a computer that's running slower than I know it should and I'm ready to blow a gasket. Thank you so much!
0 Kudos