End Point Attributes to Line

Jump to solution
10-03-2012 08:49 AM
SethStark1
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I've got the following problem:

I have two datasets: "sewer_lines" and "manholes". Each sewer_line needs a unique ID based on the two manholes that make up it's end points.

The manholes dataset has the following attributes: manhole_id, manhole_elevation.

The sewer_line id needs to be in the following format: "upstream_manhole_id"-"downstream_manhole_id".

So, for example, there is a sewer_line that lacks an ID. It has a manhole at one end point with an ID of 221 and an elevation of 65.5 and a manhole at the other endpoint with an ID of 367 and an elevation of 60.3. The ID for the sewer_line needs to be: 221-367.

I've looked at a few different tools to try to automate the population of the sewer_line IDs, but am coming up empty handed. I've got about 15,000 sewer_lines that need these IDs. Can anyone offer any help/suggestions?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
If you have an ArcInfo license, here is a workaround idea:

1.  Run Feature Vertices To Points on the lines (sewers) with the START option. The output contains all the startpoints of the lines and the ORIG_FID field.
2.  Run Feature Vertices To Points on the lines with the END option. The output contains all the endpoints of the lines and the ORIG_FID field.
3.  Run Spatial Join on the startpoints to find which ones INTERSECT the manholes. Through the Field Map you can get the manholes attributes onto the startpoints.
4.  Run Spatial Join on the endpoints to find which ones INTERSECT the manholes. Through the Field Map you can get the manholes attributes onto the endpoints.
5.  Run Join Field tool to join the lines with the startpoints via OBJECTID field (lines) and the ORIG_FID (startpoints) so that the manholes attributes can be transferred onto the lines.
6.  Run Join Field tool again to join the lines with the endpoints via OBJECTID field (lines) and the ORIG_FID (endpoints) so that the manholes attributes can be transferred onto the lines.
7.  Run Add Field tool to add a field to the lines.
8.  Run Calculate Field tool to combine the two start/end manholes ID field values as needed.

Hope that gives you a lead. I may have missed some details.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
If you have an ArcInfo license, here is a workaround idea:

1.  Run Feature Vertices To Points on the lines (sewers) with the START option. The output contains all the startpoints of the lines and the ORIG_FID field.
2.  Run Feature Vertices To Points on the lines with the END option. The output contains all the endpoints of the lines and the ORIG_FID field.
3.  Run Spatial Join on the startpoints to find which ones INTERSECT the manholes. Through the Field Map you can get the manholes attributes onto the startpoints.
4.  Run Spatial Join on the endpoints to find which ones INTERSECT the manholes. Through the Field Map you can get the manholes attributes onto the endpoints.
5.  Run Join Field tool to join the lines with the startpoints via OBJECTID field (lines) and the ORIG_FID (startpoints) so that the manholes attributes can be transferred onto the lines.
6.  Run Join Field tool again to join the lines with the endpoints via OBJECTID field (lines) and the ORIG_FID (endpoints) so that the manholes attributes can be transferred onto the lines.
7.  Run Add Field tool to add a field to the lines.
8.  Run Calculate Field tool to combine the two start/end manholes ID field values as needed.

Hope that gives you a lead. I may have missed some details.
0 Kudos
SethStark1
New Contributor II
Dan, thank you very much! Your solution worked perfectly!
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
You are welcome! I am happy to be able to help.  Good luck with your project.
0 Kudos
JasonHrubizna
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, this helped me with a similar problem.  I didn't know about the Feature Vertices To Points tool and that it has a start point / end point option. Does the trick.

0 Kudos
DanielleLee
New Contributor II

This also worked great for me. Thanks for sharing the solution! I also want to add that before I did the analysis, I built a geometric network first. I think that made the start/end points snap even better too.

0 Kudos