Empty output when running tools on specific point layer

07-06-2011 10:01 AM
ErinFranks
New Contributor
Hi everyone!

I have a layer of around 35,000 sample points which will be inputs into a statistical model I'm running, and I need to add a column for each of my layers of data (vegetation type, DEM, etc.). However, this set of points seems to have issues working with tools in the ArcToolbox. When using either Spatial Join to other vector layers (Analysis toolbox) or the Extract Values to Points with a raster (Spatial Analyst toolbox), I get no errors, but the output is an empty table, with all the correct columns but no rows.

I ran both these tools on other point layers and had no issues. In addition, if I do a spatial join by right clicking on my sample point layer in the table of contents and selecting Join (instead of using the toolbox), it works fine. I would be content with this, but I need to add values from raster layers as well, and I can't use this method for rasters.

The points were generated using SpatialEcology's Geospatial Modelling Environment, and I have not had any issues with them up until this point. It seems like there's something wrong with this specific set of points, but I'm not sure what I can do with them to have them cooperate with the toolbox. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ErinFranks
New Contributor
Just an update in case this helps... I tried converting the raster DEM into polygons, since before I was able to join polygons from the table of contents window. However, now I get an error message saying "The join was successful, however the resulting table has no rows. Crete the join table with no records?" Despite the question, the only option is OK (haha).

Any thoughts here? I trying going back to the beginning and starting over with a new point layer, but I get the feeling I'm just going to run into the same problem, and if there are any other suggestions, I'd gladly try those. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
BruceNielsen
Occasional Contributor III
Are your point and raster layers in the same projection? If not, re-project one of them so they match. It may also be that one of them has the correct coordinates, but the projection is unknown.
0 Kudos