Select to view content in your preferred language

Drawings lines inside polygons from each vertex

Jump to solution
01-09-2023 02:04 PM
MPach
by
Occasional Contributor II

I usually have some idea of how to approach what I want using a few geoprocessing tools, but in this case I don't really know where to start on this one. What I'd like to do is draw a line of a user specified length inside of a polygon that is 90 perpendicular to the side of the polygon. I'll do this by creating vertices along the perimeter of the polygon about 10 ft apart.  I sketched something out to make it a little easier to understand. Like I said I don't know where to start here other than the fact that I do know how to create all the vertices on polygon perimeter. 

If it helps what I'm attempting to do is measure a specific distance, let's say like 50ft, from the edge of the parcel inside in order to find the usable portion of land in a parcel to build on. The distance will be the city, county, town, required offset from the parcel boundary. 

Any help is appreciated and if there is a better way to do this I'm more than open to trying it. 

Thank you

ParcelsTest.png 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

help file shows

Buffer (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When buffering polygon features, negative buffer distances can be used to create buffers inside the polygon features. Using a negative buffer distance will reduce the polygons' boundaries by the distance specified.

and there is no need to produce hashures since you will have a continuous line

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

help file shows

Buffer (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

When buffering polygon features, negative buffer distances can be used to create buffers inside the polygon features. Using a negative buffer distance will reduce the polygons' boundaries by the distance specified.

and there is no need to produce hashures since you will have a continuous line

... sort of retired...
MPach
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Dan, I totally forgot about negative buffers. Much appreciated!

Mark

0 Kudos