Draw a polygon automatically around points,

02-16-2016 02:21 AM
MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Draw a polygon automatically around points,

I am looking for a way to draw a polygon automatically around points that have similar value in one field of the attribute table.

For example, in the screenshot below, I wanted to draw a polygon around the points that have class B, and to have the points inside the curved polygon but not as if they are at the boundaries (not like minimum boundary geometry tool).

boundary.jpg

Thank you in advance,

Best,

Majdoleen

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The A's can constitute a multipart polygon... that is a polygon that consists of discrete separated areas but share a common record in a table.  There is no way that you are going to get the geometries together into one physical polygon... unless you draw it yourself ...

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

For the B's and C's there may be another option using another tool Dan Patterson​ created: the minimum spanning tree. Create the connected network for each group of values and buffer the lines, and smooth the dissolved polygon...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Spanning Tree Tools ​you have to understand how they work in order for them to be useful

MajdoleenO_A__Awadallah
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you Xander and Dan, but I don't want to do such a work like this manually!!!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

spanning tree workflow as per Xander's suggestion... it is not going to be a button push since you have to understand how spanning trees are created.  I can guarantee you right now, there is no way you are going to get all the groups into separate polygon without creating multipart shapes... that is a manual approach or ArcWish

0 Kudos