Dissolve Crashes when clicking Statistics Field (10.2.1 Running Parallels)

01-17-2014 05:49 AM
SheaO_Neill1
New Contributor
Hello

I am at a bit of a loss here. I have searched the forums but cannot seem to find anything. I recently installed Desktop 10.2.1 via Parallels on my Retina 15 inch Pro. On occasion, for reasons I cannot quite discern, ArcGIS will crash and reboot my VM. Though this happens largely at random, I have noticed a pattern with the Dissolve tool. When I engage the Dissolve tool, I can enter my Features, choose an Output, and select a Dissolve Field - but, the moment I engage the drop-down menu for Statistics Field - my VM crashes and I have to sign back in.

Does anyone have any insight into why this might be happening? I suppose my questions are two part

1) Why might this happen specifically for dissolve? Any fixes
2) Is there a comprehensive fix (resetting configurations, 32 vs 64 bit, a service pack, etc) that will prevent ArcGIS from crashing regularly on the desktop?

Desktop 10.2.1 - Parallels 9 - Macbook Pro 15 Inc Retina 2.3 GHz Intel Quad Core i7 - 16 G of memory

Thank you so much
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SheaO_Neill1
New Contributor
A few updates

Frustrated, I was able to get a work around. If I mimic the Dissolve tool using Model Builder or Python, it works fine. However - I don't want to have to mimic my tools every time this happens. I just thought it would be an important piece of information to help unravel the puzzle.

The summarize -- When I try to use the Dissolve tool in data management, Parallels crashes every time I engage the Statistics Field Drop-Down Menu. If I use Dissolve in Model Builder or Python, this is not the case.

Thanks
0 Kudos