Differentiate polygons by area

Jump to solution
10-13-2015 07:49 PM
AlexanderReiner
New Contributor

For a school project I am using GIS to perform a site suitability analysis for wind turbines in my state. To find suitable sites I identified all those sites that are unsuitable. The difference between the state base map and the unsuitable layer (created using soils, slopes, land cover, conservation land, and buffers around developed land, water, and roads) will provide me with potentially suitable sites. The addition of a wind data layer will follow.

I merged my unsuitable criteria into one single layer and have isolated the potentially suitable sites from that. However, the polygons that are suitable are all considered one polygon. How can I differentiate them? I want to be able to identify them based on an ID number, what town they're in, and most importantly, their area. How can I separate this polygon into its individual, unconnected pieces, and have an area assigned to each?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Alexander,

Since it sounds like you have a large multipart polygon, why not try the multipart to singlepart tool?

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Alexander,

Since you used the polygon of your state, which is just one polygon, you will have to divide it up yourself. Maybe you can find a layer of city limits to now subdivide the remaining polygon of suitable "state places".

Tim

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Alexander,

Since it sounds like you have a large multipart polygon, why not try the multipart to singlepart tool?

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

AlexanderReiner
New Contributor

Thanks so much. That's exactly what I was looking for.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Glad to help, right tool for the job.

0 Kudos