Define Projection crashes when imported into Modelbuilder

04-01-2014 09:41 AM
MegenTheobald1
New Contributor
Hey everyone,

I've built a model that uses the Points to Line tool, however Points to Line isn't coded to take on the coordinate system of the input data, nor can you change the environment settings to define the output coordinate system.  So, I have been trying to use the Define Projection tool within my model, but every time I try to bring it in (via drag and drop or by insert), it crashes ArcGIS. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Megen
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
Two things:

• Define Projection should NOT be crashing ModelBuilder.  I've searched our support site and didn't find any reports of crashes (a serious bug).  What version of ArcGIS are you using?

• Define Projection is not the tool you want to use.  Define Projection overwrites the coordinate system information (map projection and datum) stored with a dataset. The only use for this tool is for datasets that have an unknown or incorrect coordinate system defined.  You want to use the Project tool.  This tool creates a new output dataset in the map projection you specify.

0 Kudos
MegenTheobald1
New Contributor
Here are the details on my version of ArcGIS    

Product Name: ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop
    Release Version: 10.1
    Product Version: 10.1.0.3035  I tried to use the Project tool instead of Define Projection and got the same result: ArcGIS crashes completely.
0 Kudos
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
You need to call support [1 (909) 793-3774] and see if they can resolve your crash problem.  This absolutely shouldn't be happening under any circumstances.  My first suggestion would be to first re-install ArcGIS.  Seems like something must have gone awry with the executables or libraries.  If that doesn't work, call support.
0 Kudos