Default processing order of features by Geoprocessing tools

09-23-2014 12:01 PM
YukunXing
New Contributor III

I have done search but couldn't find any ESRI documentation on this. Hopefully someone can point me to something?

Say you have two features in a feature class on which you run a geoprocessing tool. How does the tool determine which feature it processes first? Is it based on the ObjectID field sorting?

If you add the feature class to ArcMap, and sort the features in a way so the display in the attribute table is no longer consistent with ObjectID sorting. Then you run the Geoprocessing on the feature class within ArcMap. Will the Geoprocessing tool respect the order of the sorting, or still stick with ObjectID?

I assume the behavior is no different when you run geoprocessing tools in an .NET add-in geoprocessor?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a tool that accepts multi object data is input uses the first one in the list to process first.  As for running within a dataset that is sorted, it does not obey the sort order since it is purely visual and has made no alterations to the underlying data order.

0 Kudos
YukunXing
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. You mentioned "...the first one in the list to process first".

What list are you referring to?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The first feature in the list (FID for shapefiles for example)

0 Kudos
YukunXing
New Contributor III

So you are confirming that the order in which a geoprocessing tool processes features is consistent with FID/OID order?

That's what I assumed and I'd like to see some official documentation on it. Are you aware where I can find it on ESRI's site? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Try it...can't find official documentation, that would be a tech support call

0 Kudos
YukunXing
New Contributor III

I assume that's the case based on experience. Unfortunately it's not enough when I need absolute certainty. That's why I'm hoping someone here can point me to an official ESRI document.

Still appreciate your time and attention Dan.

0 Kudos