Creating a wind field model for hurricanes - help!

03-18-2022 03:53 PM
KrittikaRay
New Contributor

Hi! This is my first attempt at using GIS and also my first post, so forgive me if this is very stupid or in the wrong place. 

My task is, for every 1km x 1km plot, creating a "cyclone intensity index". This is from a given literature, and uses best track data which I have. Essentially, I have all the data I need, in particular the maximum wind speed, radii, direction, etc. This is effectively a set of points with attributes attached.

The formula contains information like, for every point P, the radial distance from the center of the tropical storm to point P, and the clockwise angle between the forward path of the storm and a radial line from the storm center to the point P.

So essentially I need to be able to calculate a variable for each point using this information relative to a point, and then I shall spatially average them over my districts of interest. 

Can someone please tell me which functions and tools I need to use? My data is just in shape files.

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm afraid I don't understand much of what you want to achieve from your description.

Perhaps the interpolation tools would be of use https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.8/tool-reference/spatial-analyst/an-overview-of-the-interpolatio... 

0 Kudos