Create Random Points

07-30-2014 01:03 PM
MahdiHassan_Nayebi
New Contributor

Hello there

I have a question, I wonder if anybody can help me with it here.

basically I want to create random points, but I have difficulties with the conditions I want it to be created.

1. I have a field for the number of points in each feature (COUNT)

2. I have a vector/raster with a value for weighting points distribution. (Weight)

I know that I can use "Create Random Points" and do the distribution based on a field, but as far as I know I have no control over their distribution. I wonder if I can do this NUMBER of random points created based on the field that I have and their DISTRIBUTION based on  the value of the vector/raster that i have as their weight for distribution.

I hope somebody can help me with this

Thanks

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What type of method are you proposing to do this?  There are few/no tools available that don't produce point distributions based upon a specific pattern (ie random, circular, grid, linear etc)

0 Kudos
MahdiHassan_Nayebi
New Contributor

Thanks Dan

the image actually shows the polygons with the values I want the points to be distributed based on (basically the more distance from service area the less probability of point density in the area)

Screenshot 2014-07-30 21.44.55.png

In this image you can see the random points created based on the field (but completely random), i want their distribution be based on the value of the polygons. I used create random points for this part.

I hope this is clarifying my question better.

Screenshot 2014-07-30 21.38.08.png

Thank you again

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Take a look at the Sampling Design Tool addin for ArcGIS 10. You can create random point and select how many points will be allocated to each attribute in a specified field. This can be done proportionally (by area), equally, or manually.

strata.png

MahdiHassan_Nayebi
New Contributor

Thank you Ken

Actually I saw this earlier today but didn't get to play with it to see if it actually can do what I want or not. I will give it a go in an hour.

Only one question, do you get to introduce number of samples manually or it can read it from attributes? I am trying with a small region but the actual model will have big number of different points to be created.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can manually enter the number of points for each attribute, or you can import a table that contains that the number of points to be created for each attribute.

0 Kudos
MahdiHassan_Nayebi
New Contributor

Thank you Ken

It seems to me that this can be the right tool for me to use, but it was throwing an error when I was trying to use it. At the time I have some problem with my network analysis, after that I will come to see if I can actually fix the issue.

It seems to me that the two stage random can be the solution in my case, but I am not sure. I should have an answer by tonight.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I assume I can use a field/raster value as the weight for distribution of sample points and another field as the count of the actual points.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What was the error you were encountering?

0 Kudos
MahdiHassan_Nayebi
New Contributor

Here is a screen shot of the error I getScreenshot 2014-08-01 16.44.09.png

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What types of layers are you using in your mxd? I'm suspecting there's an unexpected layer type that is causing a problem. What's the background image you're using?

0 Kudos