create points from xlsx problem

Jump to solution
02-09-2012 12:32 AM
RaphaelR
Occasional Contributor II
hi,

not sure this is the right forum, but here goes:

i have an xlsx workbook with a couple of worksheets containing xy coordinates and some other attributes and i´d like to create point shapefiles from it.
In the catalog window the xlsx shows up as feature dataset and the worksheets as point feature classes. so i try to just drag one of the feature classes to the toc and it gets added, but no actual points show up. i tried refreshing the feature dataset in the catalog window and all the feature classes showed up as "NoGeometry" afterwards. now i basically can´t do anything with it (export to shapefile from the catalog window doesn´t work, when i drag it back into toc, it only shows an empty attribute table). Only workaround so far is to convert the xlsx back to an old xls, then i can go the "old route" of adding the table and creating an XY event layer.

I can´t imagine this is the intended behaviour, so i´d appreciate any tips on how to fix this.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Rafael,

I have seen this behaviour when a user had Data Interoperability extension enabled. Go to Customize menu > Extensions and disable Data Interoperability. Then your .xlsx file will appear as a spreadsheet icon and sheets as tables. Thereafter, you can right-click and choose Create Feature Class > From XY table (provided that your XY columns in Excel are formated as integers).

I am not sure if you know how to add XY data (just in case):
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/27589

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Rafael,

I have seen this behaviour when a user had Data Interoperability extension enabled. Go to Customize menu > Extensions and disable Data Interoperability. Then your .xlsx file will appear as a spreadsheet icon and sheets as tables. Thereafter, you can right-click and choose Create Feature Class > From XY table (provided that your XY columns in Excel are formated as integers).

I am not sure if you know how to add XY data (just in case):
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/27589
0 Kudos
RaphaelR
Occasional Contributor II
hi Alexey,

Thanks for the quick reply, that was it(makes sense that this could cause problems, but i would have searched ages for that)!
0 Kudos