Select to view content in your preferred language

create points and lines both from excel

09-27-2016 05:53 PM
LanoYado
Deactivated User

I have 300 points data with 409 lines connect them all are stored in excel as data. The points are not spatially located, in fact, I can created them using 'create random tool' tool. But when I come to create the lines from the data in excel file, and because the points were created randomly, most of lines cross each other which is not useful to me and needs a lot of work to rearrange the points so that eliminate these crossings when come to create the lines.

I was wondering if there is any way to create these points and lines from excel data avoiding crossing lines as far as can be.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The process does not create lines based on predefined relations between points (definition of start and end point for each line). It creates random points and from the 45K+ possibilities of lines (based on 300 points) a selection is made based on length of the line (in this case between 5% and 20% of the length of the diagonal of the extent). If you have predefined start and end points, it will be a lot more challenging to create the point locations in such a way that lines do not cross.

It is still not clear what functional idea is behind this. If you can elaborate it might be easier to understand what the best solution could be. 

0 Kudos
LanoYado
Deactivated User

Appreciate it Xander and sorry if I was not clear in my question. 

In fact, there are IEEE system networks that are standard for engineers to work on for their researches. The problem is the data are old (goes to 50 years ago) and the points do not have xy locations (not provided). The only thing available is the total number of these points and how they are connected to each (from/to data), all in excel data. The 300 pint (with predefined 409 lines) is just one of these standard systems. Please see the link below belongs to this system.

Power Systems and Evolutionary Algorithms - 300-Bus System 

I asked Dan if it is possible to find the real shape or configuration (with a scale) of the network if you have the length of lines (calculated and hence assumed to be known) with out any information about the locations of points, so he thankfully started with an example with only 4 points. These two problems (the one posted here and the one posted with Dan's reply) in fact are the same problem to me but with two different tries to sove the network.

Thanks once again

0 Kudos