create attachments with scripts

12-03-2010 08:33 AM
LauraTellechea
New Contributor
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to attach several pictures to a set of points using scripts.

I have different point locations (structures) and many jpgs for each structure. I would like to have an automated attachment process in which by clicking the point, the point will already know which pictures to show.

I already tried using the attachment manager in ArcMap10. However, my supervisor wants to make it an automated process. Does anybody know how to do this?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
This isn't currently something you can do with scripting.

From what I understand you can control and work with attachments using ArcObjects.
You could write something with native ArcObjects, or you could conceivably use Python and ArcObjects together to accomplish this.

Attachments via Python/Arcpy is something we're looking at for the next release. However, at this time no promises, its just under consideration.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Actually I was just made aware that you can do this if you have the Data Interoperability extension.

There is mention of it here around slide 18:
http://proceedings.esri.com/dvd/uc/2010/uc-index/uc/workshops/tw_557.pdf

Sorry, I couldn't find this presentation on the video channel. I'm not sure if it exists in video form.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Laura,

We are looking at an implementation of this for the next release of the software and are working on user requirements for the new tools. We would be interested in knowing how you would like to see this tool work?

Specifically, how would you like to see the association between an individual feature and attachment take place in an automated process?
0 Kudos
Dr__EleeDumas
New Contributor
I would like to see this possible.  We want to use this in several locations in our County GIS environment. I have thousands of utility inspection reports that i would like to autoload into a feature class as individual attachments to a specific feature.  We also have site plands, and dozens of othre types of documents that we would like to load and be able to access thru map services by various end users within the county.  All told I have about 5TB (yes Terabyte) of .pdfs that need to be accessed by endusers to support their job functions.  to do this I have tables that relate my .pdf's to a specific feature. I just need a process to autoload them into the attachment tables within an .sde
Please consider this a high priority in your next update.
Thanks Elee
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Elee,

Do your attachments have any type of 'key value/key field' that would associate them to the record in the feature class or table you want to attach to?

For example: Does the name of the utility inspection reports have some sort of unique id that would be able to be related to the actual infrastructure record in the feature class? Perhaps you have a unique feature ID that you use to name the inspection reports?

Currently in ArcGIS 10, we have a manual option through ArcGIS Desktop for adding attachments one record at a time. We looking at methods for attaching multiple attachments to multiple records in a batch operation.
0 Kudos
CaseyBentz
Occasional Contributor II
Is there a way to edit the attachment once it is created?  I am thinking a text document.
0 Kudos
richardBurdett
New Contributor II
Yes I have this issue I have ~7000 sign post pictures of our highway network and a GDB with a signs layer. The unique photo file reference is named in a Photo column in the data but all I have is a file full of photos. I dont want to have to upload each picture to each asset is ther a way of loading the lot into the GDB and then pointing / configuring the software to pull up the correct photo based upon the unique id?
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Yes I have this issue I have ~7000 sign post pictures of our highway network and a GDB with a signs layer. The unique photo file reference is named in a Photo column in the data but all I have is a file full of photos. I dont want to have to upload each picture to each asset is ther a way of loading the lot into the GDB and then pointing / configuring the software to pull up the correct photo based upon the unique id?

Richard,

In the next release of ArcGIS we are looking at adding a geoprocessing tool that would give you the ability to use a key field to match a record in your table/feature class with a file stored on disk.

For example if you had a feature class containing sign posts with a photoID of 'sign1234' and you had a photo on disk named 'sign1234.jpg' you could attach photos based on this type of relationship.

Would these tools be useful with the way your data is currently stored?
0 Kudos
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor
Would these tools be useful with the way your data is currently stored?

Hi Russel,
I'm not the original poster, but I will state that the functionality that you have described would be very useful.  I'd like to be able to attach documents to a file geodatabase feature class using ArcToolbox tools or python scripts.  My ultimate goal is to expose the attach file functionality through a geoprocessing service in ArcGIS Server.  That way, users could add attachments to features by way of a web mapping application.  This can currently be done very easily if your data is in SDE.  I'd like to use a file geodatabase for my applications...
0 Kudos