Converting points in in one coordinate system to another

09-30-2013 06:45 AM
BrianDorr
New Contributor
I have lat long point data (decimal degrees) that were taken from a GPS using the Guam 1963 datum (Clarke 1866 ellipsoid). I would like to convert these data to WGS84 Lat Long or UTM and add these converted points to the attribute table (see below). I can re-project the data and view it correctly in WGS84 with no problem. But I have not figured out how to actually convert the source data (Lat Long point data, Guam 1963) and add new UTM point data converted to WGS84. The goal is to have the point source data in WGS84 so it does not have to be re-projected. Any ideas?

DEPLOYMENT Latitude(Guam 1963) Longitude(Guam 1963) UTM_N (WGS84) UTM_E (WGS84)
419                       13.59201                       144.86261                  ???????? ????????
420                       13.5921                        144.86257                  ???????? ????????
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
If you have added your data to your map (which is using WGS84) and it is displaying correctly, right click the layer in the table of contents, choose DATA>> EXPORT DATA and select "use the same coordinate system as the data frame". The resulting shapefile is in the same coordinate system as your data frame now. Add 2 fields, and calculate the geometry to add xy values in WGS84.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
BrianDorr
New Contributor
Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply. I have added the data to my WGS84 map and it displays correctly. I have exported the data and selected the same coordinates as the data frame (WGS84). However, I am not sure how to add the 2 fields ( x and Y) and convert the actual points (source data) to WGS84. What is the calculation for the geometry to convert lat longs (Guam 1963) to UTM WGS84 or where can I find it?
0 Kudos