Converting coordinates into a feature class or shapefile

09-04-2012 10:26 AM
MalloryChambliss
New Contributor
I am having some trouble getting coordinates, in the form of decimal degrees, converted to mappable data, i.e. point data in shapefile or feature class form. I have tried converting to a feature class from x-y data in ArcCatalog, first using a text file with x and y columns, and alternately using x-y data in spreadsheet form in Microsoft Excel Starter. I have gotten some points to draw, but seemingly not in the right place and with decimal degrees displaying in the scale window as well as at the bottom of the page.

If anyone has feedback or help, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
... I have gotten some points to draw, but seemingly not in the right place and with decimal degrees displaying in the scale window as well as at the bottom of the page...

I'm not sure based on what you wrote, but are the original coordinates in decimal degrees but you want to use a different coordinate system? You'll need to convert these points to either an xy event table or a feature class in its native coordinate system first. Then project the data to whatever coordinate system you want to use. If you're using an event table, define the coordinate system of the event table with the data's current coordinate system. Then change the coordinate system of the data frame to what you want to use (including setting any geographic/datum transformation if necessary). Right click the layer in the table of contents and choose data, export data. In that dialog, set it to use the data frame's coordinate system.

Hope this helps,
Melita
0 Kudos