Convert Lines in discretized polygons

Jump to solution
10-18-2014 07:13 PM
Ryan_Conway
New Contributor

Hello,

Quick disclaimer: I am a geologic engineering student that has been placed in charge of the GIS portion of a research project(not sure why) and I do not have very much experience.

I need to turn a road layer into discrete polygons 1m in length. I am trying to overlay visual pothole/road failure data, GPR data, and other data to make statistical comparisons. I know how to make the lines(the roads) into polygons, but can not figure out how to cut them up into little bits automatically.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Splitting a polyline in edit mode    then buffer...but their has got to be an easier way because I am guessing you are going to say that "I have lots of lines to do"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Splitting a polyline in edit mode    then buffer...but their has got to be an easier way because I am guessing you are going to say that "I have lots of lines to do"

0 Kudos
Ryan_Conway
New Contributor

Thanks that is definitely a good starting point. I dissolved all the poly lines into one line. Then, used the split line feature. However, you are limited to 999 equal pieces. I want 1m cuts which would mean I would have to cut the roads first into km pieces and then meter pieces. This get me going on little sample section though thank you.

If I find a better solution I will post!

0 Kudos
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

You can check out XTools pro (it has a one month trial period, I think). With that you can use convert features to points and generate points at 1m intervals on your lines. Then use them to cut your line. Then buffer your line to get polygons.

0 Kudos
Ryan_Conway
New Contributor

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Do you know if there is a way to buffer points into rectangles rather than into circles?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are some square buffer tools on resources.arcgis.com (hard to find stuff) which can be used for point features.  For lines, the buffer tool allows for squared ends if you have a license higher than the Basic one

0 Kudos