Select to view content in your preferred language

Convert buffer polygons into polylines (using geometry of Street Centerlines)

Jump to solution
05-06-2022 01:46 PM
EMH_Cbus
New Contributor

I am trying to use Street Centerlines polyline segments as the geometry to convert a polygon feature class into a polyline feature class, while also transferring over an single attribute field (named "PROJECTID", type Double). 

Unfortunately, even when multiple line segments exist "Completely Within" a given polygon, they still will not Merge (I even cleared out the Field Map section). 

I am also not sure what tool to use to transfer the attribute value for my "PROJECTID" field of the old polygon feature into the field for the new polyline feature.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If I'm guessing correctly as to what you want, sounds like a spatial join on the two datasets will do it.

That will let you copy attributes from the polygons to a polyline layer that overlap them.

R_

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

If I'm guessing correctly as to what you want, sounds like a spatial join on the two datasets will do it.

That will let you copy attributes from the polygons to a polyline layer that overlap them.

R_

0 Kudos
EMH_Cbus
New Contributor

That seems to work, and I had to also use Dissolve instead of Merge since I am combining features within the same feature class, not multiple feature class files.

• Select by Location: Centerlines "Completely Within" Project Selection
  • Spatial Join: Clines_dissolved (Target), Project_Selection (Join Feature), 1 to 1, "Completely Within"
  • Append: Cline_Proj_Added (Input), Polyline_Polylines (Target), "No_Test" (Schema)