Conversion from Point to Raster

09-03-2013 03:58 PM
stefaniadi_tommaso
New Contributor
Hello,
I am new to ArcMap and I would really appreciate some help. I want to create a new raster using a value in a column of a point shapefile.
I had a 8bands raster image and used the 'raster to point' tool to extract all points from the raster, in this way I obtained a point shapefile with a number of points equal to the number of pixels in the raster and with the points placed in the center of each pixel.
I extracted the values from the 8band raster and run (with other software) some analysis on each point (= each pixel) and joined it to the point table in a new column.
Now I want to create a raster with the same resolution of the original 8band raster but using as value the new column in the table. How can I do that?

I tried running 'Point to raster' but it's not doing what I am looking for.
Thank you for your help!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
did you set the cell size and raster extent to ensure that the points fall within middle of each cell (assuming your points are equally spaced)
0 Kudos
stefaniadi_tommaso
New Contributor
did you set the cell size and raster extent to ensure that the points fall within middle of each cell (assuming your points are equally spaced)

Thank you for your answer!
The points fall at the center of each cell of the original raster(2x2m resolution) and are equally spaced at 2m.
In attachment what happens if I set the cell size to 2m in the 'point to raster' tool.
how can I create the new raster with the points in the middle?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
cell size is one thing, raster extent is another,  did you set the extent of the latter to match the former?  it is done with the Environments tab of every tool in ArcToolbox
0 Kudos
stefaniadi_tommaso
New Contributor
cell size is one thing, raster extent is another,  did you set the extent of the latter to match the former?  it is done with the Environments tab of every tool in ArcToolbox

Thanks Dan! I set the correct extent using the Environments tab.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Stephania...close the thread by selecting the correct answer so that people know that the problem was resolved...also it would be nice to show the resultant image so that people know what worked... ciao
0 Kudos