Consolidate feature classes of similar names into a feature dataset

03-09-2020 11:53 AM
MalcolmLittle1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am curating a geospatial dataset that was poorly organized before I came along. In it, the unique ID for unique people changes between seasons, e.g. Malcolm Little in season 1 is given UID A1006, in season 2 he is given unique ID A2006, in season 3 he is given unique ID A3006, etc...

I'm attempting to consolidate the point feature classes for each unique person into their own unique feature dataset. The current arrangement is like this (one feature class per each day of observations):

Essentially, I'm looking for a method that would comb through a geodatabase, and copy all feature classes pertaining to the same person into a new feature dataset. E.g. all A1006, A2006, A3006 point feature classes copied into a feature dataset called "Ax006_completeObs".

The trick, I believe, may lie in utilizing a wildcard for the second character, since the structure remains consistent for every person in the geodatabase.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

maybe model builder with append loop(s)

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

So are all the Malcom Little entries all ending in 006  and are they unique to Malcom Little?

0 Kudos
MalcolmLittle1
New Contributor II

Yes to both questions.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

So then create a temp attribute. Populate it with the right(<field>,3) and you will have a unique identifier

However, it will still be 3 (or more) features per person. So perhaps you should also create new columns to hold the data from each.

your sample shows at least 11 entries for Malcom Little so that will be a lot.

Perhaps it would be best to consider a point for the Peoples and have the data in a related table

0 Kudos