Combining features based on an attribute

Jump to solution
12-28-2012 03:53 AM
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
I have a GIS map with all the parcels in my town and I want to mix them into sections. The parcels already have an attribute based on their location within a certain tax section. For instance, some parcels are in section 4A, others in 2H, etc. No parcel has a tax section identification that is not adjacent to other parcels in that section. Is there a way for me to combine all of the parcels and have each tax section as a different shape without building each one at a time?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Sometimes  disabling background processes and  executing the tool in the foreground will serve as a workaround to this error.  Try disabling background processing by going to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options > uncheck 'Enable'.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Hi Guy,

Take a look at the Dissolve tool.  I believe this will achieve what you are trying to accomplish.
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
Jake, I tried using the Dissolve tool, but I keep getting an error message stating

ERROR 001143: Background server threw an exception

What does this mean, and how do I fix it?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Sometimes  disabling background processes and  executing the tool in the foreground will serve as a workaround to this error.  Try disabling background processing by going to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options > uncheck 'Enable'.
0 Kudos
GuyCunningham
New Contributor
That worked, thank you!
0 Kudos