Cluster Polygons

07-21-2014 08:08 AM
SukhvirRehal
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well?

I'm hoping someone can advise me here.

What I have are polygons with values in a sum field.

What I'm trying to do is group these polygons to their adjacent/nearest polygons but I don't want the sum of the grouped/merged polygons to exceed 32.

So if one polygon had a value of 16 & the second a value of 8, then it will be ok to merge, however if the polys had a value of 17 each then as this exceeds 32 then it shouldn't merge.

Not all my polygons are touching each other.

Is it possible to do this? If so any guidance on how this may be achieved?

I'm using ArcGIS 10.1 Basic (Editer?)

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are not tools to do this especially given your maximum sum of 32...there would be a number of ways to cluster the polygons by sum but what rule set are you going to use to control the spatial merge? or is that even important.  This would have to be coded, so you will have to establish and articulate the rule set that you wish to use to accomplish this task..   Good luck

0 Kudos
SukhvirRehal
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

At the moment I wasn't really looking at the rules of the spatial merge. I was thinking only about adjacent polygons.

So a start polygon will look at it's adjacent polygons and if they can merge based on the sum being <32 then they merge otherwise it doesn't. Basically something like a continuous loop of each polygon doing this until it's not possible to make more merges.

I figured some sort of coding would be needed. That's definitely something I need to learn.

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos