Clip not working

05-21-2018 04:51 PM
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I have a peculiar problem. The clip tool is simply not running. My results say that the tool ran, but the output isn't created, and there are no messages. 

I have moved all the data into the same geodatabase, and it's all in the same projection. I welcome any suggestions to what could be going on because I am at a loss. 

Thank you GeoNet Community! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

All featureclasses, all in the same coordinate system for sure (?!)

Try a select by attribute and see if that works.

Make sure that you don't have any selections if you are expecting a complete clip.

And the clipping geometry is a polygon which can be used to clip, polylines, polygons or points

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I double checked, and yes all of the data is in the same projection, and the input and clip features are in the same file geodatabase. I can try a select by location... but i'm not sure a select by attribute would do much. I am clipping line features using a polygon. I honestly have no idea what the issue is. 

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

So I tried just selecting by location, and then I was going to make a layer from selected features, but  I got another weird result: 

I think I might have a problem with ArcGIS...

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Uninstall/reinstall couldn't hurt, but I expect the problem is with the data, not the software.

- V

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Faith... did you run a Check Geometry on the data as Vince suggested? 

You might actually want to make a copy to a local simple folder in a test geodatabase there first.

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

The check geometry has the same problem as clip. it is showing in results as ran, but without messages, and no output in the database. 

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

I ran a repair on ArcGIS, and the clip ran as expected.  Thank you guys for your help, as always. 

Chiu-Wen__JoAnne_Ray
New Contributor

How to run a repair on ArcGIS? 

0 Kudos
FaithWebster
Occasional Contributor

see Dan Patterson's comment above. You right click on ArcGIS from the programs list in the control panel.