Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculate Buffers using Barriers

03-08-2013 01:28 PM
LeonDelwiche
New Contributor
Here is a task that took me a little bit to figure out but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar geoprocessing challenge.  See attached screen shot for illustration.  I wanted to buffer a feature to determine the extent of "exposure" for locations on the leeward side of barrier features.  I can't do this using the select by location options because the barrier is not taken into account.  I could buffer a layer and erase based on the barrier features and delete the leeward residuals but I'm dealing with some 15,000 points and even more barrier features.  My work around was to use the lineofsight2d command in the GME (Geospatial Modeling Environment).  The process is multistep so it would be nice to have this as a tool.  The command requires locations (points) to determine a line of sight area using a polygon input for barrier features.  If you have a polygon that you want to use as the benchmark for the LOS locations you will first have to convert it to a point file to use with the GME command (Use Densify to add vertices as needed for more LOS locations).
0 Kudos
0 Replies