Buffer: Euclidean vs. Geodesic distance

03-30-2014 01:39 PM
CraigEissler
New Contributor III
I read the Help Doc on Buffering, regarding distances using Euclidean vs. Geodesic units.
I get the concept.

But where in the Tool is this choice made?
Or was the Help Doc attempting to tell me that it depends on whether the Input Layer is in projected or geographic coordinates? ...If so, that wasn't clear to me.

Thanks for anyone's help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Craig,

Yes, you've got it. Are you referring to the first bullet point of the Buffer Tool? It reads relatively clear to me, but I've hip-deep in projections. Do you have any suggestions for making it more clear?

Melita
0 Kudos
CraigEissler
New Contributor III
Thanks for responding, Melita.

I should have been more clear that the Help Doc I was referring to is titled, "How Buffer Works" which does a good job of conceptually explaining Euclidean vs. Geodesic, but leaves a bit to decipher how you how to manage this within the Tool.

However, the Help Doc I believe that you are referring to titled, "Buffer (Analysis)" does do a good job in indicating how to manage this within the Tool. ...Sorry that I had not also read that. That said, maybe these two Help Docs need to tie into each other a little more fluidly.

I tried the buffer both ways and can see and understand the difference.
Thanks again, Craig
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Thanks for clarifying, Craig. I was in a rush when I posted, so I hadn't checked the concepts topic yet.

Melita
0 Kudos