Buffer by Area

08-16-2011 11:26 AM
RobertLea
New Contributor II
Hello,

I need to buffer by an area rather than a length. For example I need a buffer with an area of 89209m squared. Does anyone know a way of doing this?

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor
There is a tool on the Geoprocessing resource center for performing this exact operation. You can find the tool here: http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geoprocessing/details?entryID=946CA3EC-1422-2418-7FCD-4B273...

If you have any feedback, comments, or questions about the tool please use this forum, as I will get automatic notification.

Good luck!
Drew - Esri
0 Kudos
larix
by
New Contributor

Dear Drew. I am looking for this tool. The link in your reply does not work anymore. Do you mind to post a new link? Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
RobertLea
New Contributor II
That works perfectly. Thank you again very much for your help.
0 Kudos
DrewFlater
Esri Regular Contributor
Can I ask what your application is? I wrote this tool, and am always looking for 'typical' cases where someone would want the buffers to be a specified area. Thanks

Drew - Esri
0 Kudos
RobertLea
New Contributor II
Apologies for the late reply. I doubt it is typical but I am trying to predict the size of school catchment areas based on pupil numbers. For example I may predict a school with 1000 pupils will have a catchment of 10 miles squared for which I needed to create a buffer for by area.

Cheers
0 Kudos